[QE-users] IR calculation for oriented single crystal

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at sorbonne-universite.fr
Fri Mar 18 09:47:33 CET 2022

Hello Zack,
the code that computes the IR cross sections is in subroutine RamanIR at line 150 of file LR_Modules/dynmatsub.f90. If you ignore the Raman parts, it is literally 10 lines:

do nu = 1,3*nat
do ipol=1,3
polar(ipol)=0.0d0
end do
do na=1,nat
do ipol=1,3
do jpol=1,3
polar(ipol) = polar(ipol) + &
zstar(ipol,jpol,na)*z((na-1)*3+jpol,nu)
end do
end do
end do

infrared(nu) = 2.d0*(polar(1)**2+polar(2)**2+polar(3)**2)*irfac
... some raman stuff ...
endo do

It should be straightforward to adapt it to whatever you need. Keeping in mind that "zstar" is the effective charge matrix of atom "na" and z(3nat, 3nat) is the matrix of phonon polarizations.
Otherwise, you can have z printed by dynmat by setting the variable
fileig = 'file_name.txt'
and then do the calculation in some other way.

hth
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC - CNRS UMR 7590 & Sorbonne Université
phone: +33 (0)1 442 79822 / skype: paulatz
http://www.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/ - https://anharmonic.github.io/