[QE-users] Polarization calculation using nscf

Lucian D. Filip lucian.filip at infim.ro
Thu Jun 23 00:00:58 CEST 2022

The number outside of the bracket is the polarization value on one of
the polarization branches. That value by itself can rarely be used as it
is. In my experience, for BTO unit-cell the value you obtained initially
is the one that corresponds to the real polarization which is obtained
from experimental measurements. This is a coincidence. You can test this
by doing a number of scf followed by nscf with Berry phase calculations
for a sequence of distortions of the BTO atoms. You start with the
centrosimmetric state where polarization will be zero (again, this is
not always the case!) then you introduce a distortion along the z axis
by moving the atoms towards their equilibrium position in the state with
polarization P. By doing successice calculations like this and plotting
the obtained polarization vs distortion, for BTO you will get a straight
line from 0 to the value you obtained correspondint to the stable
ferroelectric state.

I have not checked for BTO but I suspect that using a super-cell what
happens is you end up on a different polarization branch. In the modern
polarization theory, the polarization value is defined until a
polarization quantum. To get the actual physical value that one obtaines
from measurements one has to take the difference between the
polarization obtained for the ferroelectric state and the
centrosimmetric state. But here is the catch: both are obtained modulo a
polarization quantum! So here is what happens:

The polarization for the centrosimmetric state is: Pcentrosimmetric = Pc
+ n * Pq. Pcentrossimetric are the possible values that can be obtained
starting from the calculated value Pc (the one given in the output) and
the polarization quantum Pq and n is an integer. So if Pc = 0 initially,
Pcentrossimetric can take the following vallues: ...., -2 Pq, -Pq, 0,
Pq, 2Pq , ...etc.

For the ferroelectric state something similar happens only:
Pferroelectric= Pf + m*Pq. Pf is the value you obtain from the output
and m is another integer! There is no guarantee that n=m!

The value you are after is deltaP=Pferroelectric-Pcentrosimmetric as the
theory states. But if n != m this difference will still be defined up to
an integer times Pq! The catch is to make sure that both
Pcentrosimemtric and Pferroelectric reside on the same branch defined by
the same integer.

Now it is easy to tell if by luck both values are initially on the same
branch then the difference makes sense physically. If they aren't then
successibe calculations are needed. How many? that dependes on the
complexity of the super cell and the material! I am not sure of the
rules on this forum but I have proposed a way to obtain the polarization
by doing only three calculations: one for the centrosimmetric state, one
for the ferroelectric state and one for an intermediary state very close
to the centrossimetric one. If you are interested I can send the paper
over, maybe it will help!

All the best,

Lucian

On 22/06/2022 15:46, Amar Singh via users wrote:
> What I understood up to now is that the bracketed number (mode 0.5099
> C/m2) is, what the reference calls the "quantum of polarization", and
> it depends upon the size and choice of the unit-cell selected. On the
> other hand, the number outside bracket is the "change in
> polarization", which is typically known as saturation polarization (Ps).
>
> Now, when I did some experiment with my unit-cell choice, the quantum
> of polarization 0.5 C/m2 for 2X2X2 supercell changed to 2 C/m2
> (exactly four times) for 1X1X1 cell, whereas Ps changed from -0.16
> C/m2 to 0.34 C/m2.
>
> I was expecting the quantum of polarization to either scale with the
> size of supercell or remain invariant, but here, on reducing the
> supercell volume to 1/8th, its value is quadrupled. On the other hand,
> change in polarization, which I was expecting to be independent of the
> choice of supercell size, has changed its magnitude as well as direction.
>
> I will really appreciate your help in understanding these numbers.
> Thanks

*Dr. Lucian Dragos Filip*
National Institute of Materials Physics
Atomistilor str. 405A, PO Box MG. 7