[QE-users] Polarization calculation using nscf

Amar Singh amarsingh122014 at rediffmail.com
Wed Jun 22 14:46:26 CEST 2022

What I understood up to now is that the bracketed number (mode 0.5099 C/m2) is, what the reference calls the "quantum of polarization", and it depends upon the size and choice of the unit-cell selected. On the other hand, the number outside bracket is the "change in polarization", which is typically known as saturation polarization (Ps).Now, when I did some experiment with my unit-cell choice, the quantum of polarization 0.5 C/m2 for 2X2X2 supercell changed to 2 C/m2 (exactly four times) for 1X1X1 cell, whereas Ps changed from -0.16 C/m2 to 0.34 C/m2.I was expecting the quantum of polarization to either scale with the size of supercell or remain invariant, but here, on reducing the supercell volume to 1/8th, its value is quadrupled. On the other hand, change in polarization, which I was expecting to be independent of the choice of supercell size, has changed its magnitude as well as direction.I will really appreciate your help in understanding these numbers.
Thanks