[QE-users] ESM and FCP calculation clarification

Lucian D. Filip lucian.filip at infim.ro
Sun Apr 10 10:20:49 CEST 2022

Hello all,

I am trying to understand the ESM example in the QE github repo. It says
in the description that the example is divided in three parts but it
doesn't mention it the parts depend on oneanother. Is this the case?
I.e. if you don't do the first part of the example then the rest cannot
be done?

Another point of confusion if the FCP part of the calculation. Is this a
'relax' type of calculation or can it be performed on a regular 'scf' run?

Also this requirement of a slab to be centered in z=0. It would have
been very informative if the example didn't use a 1 atom thin layer of
Al for the slab. What is the vacuum region requirement for such a
calculation?

I am trying to study a large 1x1xN structure consisting of
SrRuO3/PbTiO3/SrTiO3/PbTiO3/SrRuO3 layers of different thicknesses. I
would like to consider the 'bc1' case where the structure is surrounded
by semi infinite metal electrodes. Do I still need a vaccum region for
this case? Or I just construct a 1x1xN supercell centered around z=0 and
se the esm_w parameter to 0.

Since my structure involves PbTiO3 which is a ferroelectric with a large
bulk polarization, can I use FCP to obtain a correct Hartree potential
for this case?

A simple 'scf' calculation on this 1x1xN structure surrounded by vacuum
regions, does not converge even after hundreds of steps and no
combination of cutoff, k points, mixing beta etc solves this problem. I
suspect the problem lies with the effect of polarization and a possible
solution would be ESM method (although I expect will take quite a long
time).

Regards,

Lucian

P.S.: since the structure is quite large I am not including here an
input file but I can provide it upon request.

---

*Dr. Lucian Dragos Filip*
National Institute of Materials Physics
Atomistilor str. 405A, PO Box MG. 7