[QE-users] Direction of electric field and sawtooth-potential

Fabio Ferreira fabio.ferreira at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Sat Apr 9 13:33:20 CEST 2022

I have a monolayer crystal and I want to apply an Efield in the out-of-plane direction.

A chose a positive value for eamp and edir=3.  I suppose that this means that the Efield is pointing upwards (from the z=0 to z=L) , where L is the size (height) of my box.

When I get my sawtooth-potential, I get a file in eV units.

My question is:  The Efield is only pointing upwards if the slope of the potential (units V) across my monolayer is negative. But since I get a positive slope for the sawtooth-potential in eV units, I suppose the real potential was multiplied by -e.  Is this correct?

Best regards,
Fábio