[QE-users] NEB unexpected crash

Carlo Nervi carlo.nervi at unito.it
Tue Sep 21 10:30:58 CEST 2021

Dear Mauro,
sometimes the way in which remote shell behave could stop the child
processes.
If you are running programs over SSH and if the connection drops, the
session will be terminated, and all the executed processes will stop.
To avoid that you may use the *nohup *(No Hang Up) command.

In my system, for example, I can avoid the stopping of the processes by
running normally my commands in background (&) and then exiting the shell.
This guarantee (according to my system settings) that the child processes
will be stopped.
HTH,
Carlo

Il giorno mar 21 set 2021 alle ore 09:47 Mauro Sgroi <
maurofrancesco.sgroi at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Dear Paolo,
> all the 3 conditions you are reporting should not be the case.
> I'm going to investigate with our HPC manager.
> Best regards,
> Mauro.
>
> Il giorno mar 21 set 2021 alle ore 08:56 Paolo Giannozzi <
> p.giannozzi at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 5:52 PM Mauro Sgroi <
>> maurofrancesco.sgroi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What does " Program stopped by user request"  mean?
>>>

>> it means one of the following cases:
>> - the time limit specified in input has been reached
>> - a file $prefix.EXIT or $prefix.save/EXIT or something like that has
>> been detected
>> - signal USR1 has been sent to the process (only if compiled with a
>> specific preprocessing option)
>>
>> Is there a way to fix this behaviour?
>>>

>> there is nothing to be fixed: one should figure out which of the three
>> cases mentioned above has occurred
>>
>> Paolo
>>

>>> Thanks a lot and best regards,
>>> Mauro Sgroi.
>>

>> --
>> Paolo Giannozzi, Dip. Scienze Matematiche Informatiche e Fisiche,
>> Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 206, 33100 Udine, Italy
>> Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222

Prof. Carlo Nervi carlo.nervi at unito.it  Tel:+39 0116707507/8
Fax: +39 0116707855      -      Dipartimento di Chimica, via
P. Giuria 7, 10125 Torino, Italy.    http://lem.ch.unito.it/

*ICCC2020 has been postponed at 2022*

ICCC 2022 28 August - 2 September 2022, Rimini, Italy: http://www.iccc2020.com
International Conference on Coordination Chemistry (ICCC 2022)