[QE-users] Temperature dependent Fermi level

Mahmoud Payami Shabestari mpayami at aeoi.org.ir
Tue Nov 23 10:10:04 CET 2021

Dear LIANG,

Hi.

As long as the energy functional is a convex one, you get the GS properties.

In the DFT+U functional, one is dealing with a multi-minima energy
functional, so that one has to be careful not to be stuck in metastable
states.

On temperature effects, as I understand, using smearing for electrons is
somehow increasing the temperature for the electrons, so that the Fermi step
function of electron occupations gets the Fermi-Dirac distribution shape for
T>0.

You may also take into account the expansion of lattice constants as
parametrized by temperature.

I think for a consistent temperature-dependent calculations, one needs to
run MD.

Bests,

Mahmoud Payami

NSTRI, AEOI, Tehran, Iran