[QE-users] Density of states and Volume

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Sun Nov 14 12:22:43 CET 2021

Dear Salman,

if a quantity is extensive, so the larger the volume/mass/size the larger that quantity, it should NOT have Volume^-1 in its units.

Indeed, the DOS as calculated by Quantum-ESPRESSO is in eV^-1. Let us suppose that you calculate the ground state of a given crystal within its primitive cell and obtain a certain DOS. If you now compute the ground state of the SAME crystal  but with twice the unit cell, the number of electrons doubles and as does the DOS. On the other hand, if you divide both DOSs by the respective unit cell volumes, you’ll get a quantity with Volume^-1 in its units that will be the exactly same for both calculations (provided the convergence of both calculations with respect to the used parameters is the same).

Giovanni