[QE-users] occupation in biological molecules and band gap

pboulet pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr
Fri Nov 5 10:56:34 CET 2021

Dear all,

Regarding the ‘scissor’ operator, when I was a PhD student working on molecular systems with programs using Slater types of orbitals (ADF), I sometimes had to use the so-called ‘level-shift’ trick to facilitate the SCF convergence (it avoids the swapping of occupied/unoccupied orbitals from one step to the next when the gap is small). If I am right, correct me if I am wrong, this level-shift trick ressembles a lot the ‘scissor’ operator.

Best,
Pascal

Pascal Boulet
—
Professor in computational materials chemistry - DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
University of Aix-Marseille - Avenue Escadrille Normandie Niemen - F-13013 Marseille - FRANCE
Tél: +33(0)4 13 55 18 10 - Fax : +33(0)4 13 55 18 50
Email : pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr <mailto:pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr>