[QE-users] occupation in biological molecules and band gap

Kazume NISHIDATE nisidate at iwate-u.ac.jp
Fri Nov 5 02:57:43 CET 2021

> So, a new calculation of the bandgap was performed with HSE to obtain
> the difference between Egap HSE and Egap PBE.

Ok, they used the 'scissor' operator to correct the PBE dielectric constant.

> If I remember the explanation, this value is added in the optical
> results to push all the results obtained with PBE toward the value
> that could be found using the HSE functional.

And they concluded that the correction was small despite the
underestimation tendency of the E_g_PBE (left column, p4).

> What do you suggest to me? What value should I use instead of the
> 2x2x2?

The 2x2x2 k-mesh must be used for the 'scf' calculation.  And then you
should try to evaluate the band structure along the specific k-point
path with the 'bands' (non-scf) calculation. This is the procedure they
used to evaluate the bands.

Have you ever done a band structure calculation of simple
semiconductor crystal? You should once try to draw a band structure
of Si (diamond structure) so that you can understand the procedure.

best regards
kazume NISHIDATE
敬具 西館数芽

nisidate at iwate-u.ac.jp