[QE-users] occupation in biological molecules and band gap

Kazume NISHIDATE nisidate at iwate-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 2 02:56:28 CET 2021

> I've watched/read some tutorials about QE, and some of these showed
> that the occupation of semiconductors should be "smearing", other
> ones that it should be "fixed",

The occupancies of metals and semiconductors should be "smeared" to
obtain a good convergence of the calculation.

In the plane-wave DFT calculation for the 'cyclic systems', we use
desecrate k-point mesh where the occupancies of electrons may have
decimal point if it cross the fermi-level (HOMO).

> What value should I use for the SCF and electronic calculations of
> the crystals that I'm going to work on (amino acids, hormones,
> neurotransmitters, and drugs)?

You should use the smearing method.

> *Are there any differences when the molecule has a metal, like the
   Heme group?

You also should use the smearing method in that case.

You also should perform the spin polarized calculation for the
molecule with a metal to check if there is no significant difference
with the no-spin polarized calculation.

> Besides, I would like to ask if there is a calculation that I could
> perform to obtain the bandgap of these molecules. Is it only
> possible if I create the band structure figure and calculate the
> difference between the peaks in VB and CB?

You can obtain a 'coarsely' estimated band gap by plotting the DOS
after the scf calculation with the dense k-point mesh.  If the value
is significantly differ from that at the gamma point, the VBM-CBM
(HOMO-LUMO) gap must be located at some k-point other than gamma.

best regards
kazume NISHIDATE
敬具 西館数芽

nisidate at iwate-u.ac.jp