[QE-users] Interpolation for 2D phonons results in one imaginary branch near Gamma

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at tu-dresden.de
Wed Jul 14 22:05:31 CEST 2021

Thanks Vahid! This is actually a nice hint. I didn't relax the lattice with QE since I got the relaxed structure from someone else (collaboration) and minor differences between codes had - in my experience (3D solids) - never such a big influence on the phonons modes. But I will have a look at the stresses...

Anyways, meanwhile the phonon dispersion was also calculated using phonopy, i.e., the supercell method, and there is no imaginary mode. Dunno if the code interpolates differently or enforces the acoustic sum rule in a different way, but it is weird that the collaborator uses phonopy with QE and gets positive modes and I don't...

Thanks again for the hint!

Thomas

--
Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme