[QE-users] Optimizing QE Install

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Mon Jan 25 11:22:08 CET 2021

Dear Robert,

   Adding to the comments and hints by Lorenzo and Paolo, I would just like
to add that i) I usually use OpenBLAS (https://www.OpenBLAS.net/) instead
of the NetLib versions of BLAS+LAPACK (compiled from source, it easily
adapts to the underlying hardware, with few options and it seems to me to
be close to the performance of Intel MKL et co; despite its name it also
contains LAPACK, not only BLAS) and ii) why OpenMPI 1.x.y, as the latest
versions are at 4.x.y?

   I would also ensure that the environmental variable 'OMP_NUM_THREADS' is
indeed set correctly, even if at '1', to avoid a burst of OpenMP threads.
The correct number of course depends on the number of cores available,
hyper-threading or not (or how is it called on the AMD EPYC), the number
of MPI tasks and the amount of memory available, should the latter become
a bottleneck.

     Greetings from Paris,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/