[QE-users] Calculating kinetic energy along particular direction for each electron orbital

Joshua Mann jomann at physics.ucla.edu
Sat Jan 16 21:08:28 CET 2021

Hello,

Thanks for the code! So what I am trying to calculate is the kinetic energy
of each orbital (the kinetic portion of the variable et, eigs in wfck2r's
output), for each k-point and band index. So ekin has the shape ekin(nks,
nbnd, 6) and I do not perform any summation (except over pw's). The
modified version of e_kin is attached.

>From this I get the same exceedingly large energy results as before, after
removing the wg(ibnd,ik) term. With wg the kinetic energy is too low, and
my understanding is that this is used to weight each wavefunction when
summing over the k-points and bands.

Is there some other consideration I am missing when I only want the kinetic
energy of each orbital, and not the total contribution of a band or k-point?

Thanks,

Joshua Mann
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of California, Los Angeles