[QE-users] How i can get correct band gap by GGA+U method ?

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon Jan 11 14:17:42 CET 2021

Dear Mohammed
I've found 3.9 eV for Mn (with PAW PP) a few years ago for a very
similar layered Mn oxide, and applied the same value to Mn(IV) in
monoclinic Ca2Mn3O8 (J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 10254, see SI). This
said, if you want to have a better Eg you must apply the U correction
also to O 2p (you may want to read Phys. Rev. X 2015, 5, 011006, where
MnO2 is discussed in the framework of a "generalized U" method).
However, keep in mind two things:
1) When dealing with (almost) full bands such as that arising from O
2p in Mn oxides, you should not use linear response to calculate U,
and you should use some semiempirical fitting instead (if it pleases
you...).
2) If your fitting parameter is the band gap, then be careful to check
that you have a good position of *both* band edges, maybe by comparing
results obtained with the same PPs and same cell parameters with those
obtained by using, eg. the HSE functional. It may happen (it happened
to me in many cases where inter-site contributions as U+V could not be
avoided, like GaAs or Si) that the U correction lowers the VB edge
*and* the CB edge, maybe leading to a correct gap in a wrong overall
potential landscape.
HTH
Giuseppe