[QE-users] Parallel pw.x/pp.x Fortran runtime error: File cannot be deleted

Belal Raza braza2 at mpibpc.mpg.de
Thu Dec 9 15:23:29 CET 2021

Dear fellow users,

I am experiencing runtime errors while running basic computations with
pw.x and pp.x from the 2021 summer school (day2). PWTK and input file
are provided at the end of this mail.

The error message from the .out.error file reads

"Error termination. Backtrace:
At line 22 of file stop_pp.f90 (unit = 10, file = './silicon.wfc1')
Fortran runtime error: File cannot be deleted"

Same problem occured for other pw.x and pp.x calculations. In this case
the file "test0" cannot be deleted. I managed to mitigate the problem by
setting outdir="temp". In the current case my fix couldn't prevent the
runtime error. I would be thankful for any help.

Cheers,

B. Raza

Max-Planck-Institute for biophysical Chemistry Göttingen, Germany

Department Dynamics at Surfaces

------------------PWTK FILE------------------------------------

load_fromPWI ../pw.si.scf.in

# please insert values as determined in the "alat" & "ecutwfc" excercises

#SYSTEM {
#    celldm(1) = 10.2
#    ecutwfc   = 30.0
#}

# please insert k-points as determined in the "kpoints" excercise
# N.B. use non-shifted K_POINTS for this exercise, e.g. 6 6 6 0 0 0

K_POINTS automatic {
     4 4 4 0 0 0
}

outdir temp

set name Si

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# run SCF pw.x calculation
#
runPW pw.$name.scf.in

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# run calculation = 'bands' pw.x calculation
#
CONTROL { calculation = 'bands' }
SYSTEM  { nbnd = 8 }

# load the K_POINTS from file
import kpoint-list.pwtk

runPW pw.$name.bands.in

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# run bands.x calculation
#

BANDS {
     filband = 'Si.bands.dat'
     lsym = .true.
}

runBANDS bands.$name.in

"""

------------------INPUT FILE------------------------------------

"""

&CONTROL
     prefix = 'silicon',

     ! this is a comment: you can comment out variables

     ! if "pseudo_dir" and "outdir" are not set then pw.x will use the
     ! values of ESPRESSO_PSEUDO and ESPRESSO_TMPDIR environmental
     ! variables instead

     !pseudo_dir = ""
  /

  &SYSTEM
     ibrav = 2,
     celldm(1) = 10.2,
     nat =  2,
     ntyp = 1,
     ecutwfc = 12.0,
  /

  &ELECTRONS
  /

ATOMIC_SPECIES
    Si  28.086  Si.pz-vbc.UPF

ATOMIC_POSITIONS alat
    Si 0.00 0.00 0.00
    Si 0.25 0.25 0.25
    ! this is a comment

#K_POINTS tpiba
# this is also a comment: next line, number of k-points
# 2
# 0.25 0.25 0.25  1.0
# 0.25 0.25 0.75  3.0

K_POINTS automatic