[QE-users] Complex eigenvectors in phonons

Nima Karimitari nima.kt at uga.edu
Sun Apr 25 17:58:46 CEST 2021

Hello everyone!

I have a question about phonon calculations in QE.
I know dynamical matrix should be Hermitian and that guarantees real eigenvalues. However, Hermitian matrix does not mean necessarily a real matrix and consequently, eigenvectors can be complex. What is the physical meaning of complex eigenvectors for phonons? I'm observing these complex eigenvectors in some of my results and I'm trying to understand the meaning of them. Phonon dispersion and density of states agree with other studies but I'm not sure what is the significance of the imaginary parts of some of my eigenvectors.

Bests,
Nima Karimitari
Ph.D. candidate
University of Georgia