[QE-users] occupation=smearing and magnetic moment

Evgeny Permyakov permeakra at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 13:23:08 CEST 2021

Dear QE users! I found that the calculated magnetic moment of the minimal
cell of LaFe4P12  depends on whether I use occupations=smearing,
specifically I get magnetisation about 2.7 Bohr/cell for occupations=fixed
and zero magnetisation for occupations=smearing. Is it normal? Why does it
even happen? What result is the more 'correct' one?

The system is suspected to be a Pauli paramagnet, does this fact mess
somehow the calculation and how should I approach modeling it?

I added the minimal input file to reproduce the behaviour.