[QE-users] DFT Calculation with expermental results

Yuvam Bhateja yuvamb16 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 05:19:32 CEST 2020

Hey,

I am no expert either but I will try to help with what I have learned so
far.

1) Yeah, you can initiate the calculation with your original cell parameter
and then go relaxing your cell and atoms. And then that final cell
parameter can be used for single point calculation (scf) to find band gap
which you can compare with your experimental data.

2) Cell parameter are also important and needed to relax. You can use
cell_dofree="ibrav" in CELL card (check input file of pw.x). In this way
your cell parameters will be relaxed keeping the lattice shape constant.

3) Choice of pseudopotential majorly depends on your XC functional. From
what I have learned and observed, PBEsol is a good choice if one is
focusing on lattice parameters and structure of cell. PBE is good for
properties like bandgap, spin, etc. revPBE is good if you are dealing with
Van Der Waal interactions, etc. You need to choose what you want to focus
on and can refers to papers to check what suits you best.

4) So, in single point calculation output, at the end you can see that
there will be two terms, total magnetization and absolute magnetisation. If
there is zero value for total and non zero value for absolute it means
there is magnetisation per atom but cancelling out each other to make it
zero i.e., Antiferromagnetic. If both the values are non zero and same then
all magnetic moments are aligned i.e. Ferromagnetic.

5) You can adjust your total magnetization using tot_magnetization. If you
keep it 0, the calculation will be performed under this constraint and you
might get an AFM. Similarly for FM, assign a value you find suitable. Then
you can compare the energies from two different outputs.

Also, since you are dealing with Transition metals, make sure you use
DFT+U.
You can either calculate the U parameter or can use that are available in
already published works.

Please let me know if you have any more doubts.

Regards
Yuvam Bhateja
B.Tech.
IIET Shibpur