[QE-users] DFT+U calculation and Hubbard_J0 parameter

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Fri Oct 30 12:35:48 CET 2020

Dear Yuvam,

> I wanted to know how do I know in what orbital how much U parameter I should provide.

You can compute U from first principles using the hp.x code which is a part of Quantum ESPRESSO.

> In QE, there's only one option of Hubbard_U and not any orbital specific data. But in other programs like SIESTA, I had to put U and J value for each orbital, 3d and 4s in case of Cr.

In QE there is a multichannel implementation for DFT+U, but it is still experimental. You can find some examples in q-e/test-suite/pw_lda+U.

> Suppose I used U=5 in QE, how should I know what value should I use for SIESTA?

The value of U is not transferable from one code to another. U depends on many factors (Hubbard manifold, pseudopotentials, functional, etc.). Have a look here:
http://theossrv1.epfl.ch/Main/DFTHubbard

> If I use U=5 for 3d in SIESTA, what should I use for 4s as it is also one of the outermost orbitals.

Applying the U correction to s-type orbitals is questionable. Typically the U correction is applied to the orbitals of the d and f type. Sometimes people put U also on p-type orbitals, but there is also no general consensus about this.

U=5 for 3d in SIESTA, does not mean that you will have U=5 for 3d in QE (see my comment above). Just compute it using hp.x.

Greetings,

Iurii

--
Dr. Iurii TIMROV