[QE-users] pp.x does not seem to finish

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Tue Oct 20 13:44:06 CEST 2020

Hi

no it shouldn't take that long.

According to the output you should be   running on 5120 processors, !!!!

that would indeed be a terrific workstation :-).

the openmp version of the code is a little bit tricky, if the number of
available threads is not specified it tries to as many as it finds, in
your case 128. Most of the time is spent in switching between threads.

You should specify the number of actually available threads in the
OMP_NUM_THREADS envinronment variable.

just type the command

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=<num of available threads>

as for the number of avaiable threads it should be something so as to 40
time the number of thread is less than 128.

Also be aware that the executable has a very intensive use of the cpu so
check whether 128 is the actual number of physical cores or it is
multiplied because of hyperthreading, in that case instead of 128 use
the actual number of physical cores.

best wishes

Pietro