[QE-users] Optimal QE setup for molecular crystals (pseudopotentials, k-space campling, performance) ..

Andrii Shyichuk andrii.shyichuk at chem.uni.wroc.pl
Tue Nov 17 12:52:27 CET 2020

Dear Mihal,

A few suggestions:
1). Compare a few types of PPs: PSLibrary (QE defaults), GBRV
(https://www.physics.rutgers.edu/gbrv/), ATOMPAW
(http://users.wfu.edu/natalie/papers/pwpaw/PAWDatasets.html).

2). The cutoff depends on the PPs, I'd not go below the value
recommended for the PPs used.

3). Are there any compounds chemically similar to yours, with good known
structures?
If not - cell dimension is at least some quality indicator, good
dimensions mean good bond lengths, approximately.
Smooth EOS (energy-volume curve) is an indicator that your setup is
self-consistent (basis is good, etc).

4). Gamma-only is not good for geometries. I'd use 3x3x3 grid (if your
systems is approximately a cube), or 2x2x2 (yes, K_POINTS automatic  2 2
2 0 0 0 ) if 3x3x3 is too much.

Best regards.
Andrii Shyichuk, University of Wrocław