[QE-users] Difference between Geometry Optimization and a SCF calculation

Chaman Gupta chaman at uw.edu
Wed May 20 13:22:42 CEST 2020

Thanks a lot Michael for the explanation. Diving a bit more into my
specific situation, here's my problem statement:

I have a 'Si simple hexagonal phase (Phase V)' which is stable in the
pressure range of 17 to 30 GPa (approx.). I want to generate the band
structure for this Si at different Pressure values.
*Note: My cell dimensions will vary with change in Pressure*

1. I have the cif file for this phase. Should I in this case run a geometry
optimization and look at the HOMO LUMO energy difference to compute the
band gap,
     or, Should I run a scf calculation and look at the HOMO LUMO energy
difference to compute the band gap.

2. When I am running a 'scf' calculation, and I try to enter (P = 19.5 GPa):
    &CELL
    cell_dofree    = "all"
    cell_dynamics  = "bfgs"
    press          =  1.95000e+02
    press_conv_thr =  5.00000e-01

The BURAI does not take in this command when I hit update. Whilst, if I
enter the same command while doing a geometry optimization it does update
my input file.
a. Can this command only be included while doing a geometry optimization
calculation ('relax' or 'vc-relax')?
b. Is there any way to include external pressure while doing the scf
calculation?

3. Is it even possible to study (generate) band structures at different
external pressures using QE?

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

*Chaman Gupta*
Graduate Research Student, *Novosselov Research Group
<http://depts.washington.edu/nrglab/>, UW*
Graduate Research Student, *Pauzauskie Research Group
<https://depts.washington.edu/pzlab/wordpress/>, UW*
University of Washington Seattle, *M.S. in Mechanical Engineering*
IIT Kharagpur, *B.Tech in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering*
*Linked In <https://www.linkedin.com/in/professorchamangupta> | Email
<chaman at uw.edu> | **P*: +1 (206) 383-3514