[QE-users] Difference between Geometry Optimization and a SCF calculation

M.J. Hutcheon mjh261 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 20 13:00:32 CEST 2020

Dear Chaman,

Essentially, a geometry optimisation moves the atoms around to reduce
the energy of the system. The energy of the system is calculated using
an scf calculation. The geometry optimisation is therefore a bunch of
scf calculations strung together, with a succession of atomic positions
approaching the minimum-energy positions.

You should carry out a geometry optimisation if you suspect that your
atoms are not in the ground state for your given parameters.

Best,

Michael Hutcheon

TCM group, Cambridge University

On 2020-05-20 11:37, Chaman Gupta wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Might be a very naive question, but I have been very confused with this recently.
>
> I have a 'Si - simple hexagonal' cif file. I want to see the band structure and/or the band gap (HOMO - LUMO).
> 1. I ran a 'scf' calculation on BURAI (a GUI for QE). It generated an output file which gave me the Total energy and the energy of HOMO and LUMO.
> 2. Now separately, I ran a 'geometry optimization' calculation (both 'relax' and 'vc-relax': thus 2 different calculations), again on BURAI, and I got an output file, which gives me Total energy and energy of HOMO and LUMO.
>
> *I specified nbnd = 8 (no. of bands) for both the above mentioned calulations*
>
> I am confused as in which one is correct or more reliable. And also when should we use which calculation?
>
> Help is really appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chaman Gupta
> Graduate Research Student, _Novosselov Research Group [1], UW_
>
> Graduate Research Student, _Pauzauskie Research Group [2], UW_
> University of Washington Seattle, _M.S. in Mechanical Engineering_
> IIT Kharagpur, _B.Tech in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering_
> Linked In [3] | Email | P: +1 (206) 383-3514

Links:
------
[1] http://depts.washington.edu/nrglab/
[2] https://depts.washington.edu/pzlab/wordpress/