[QE-users] Difference between Geometry Optimization and a SCF calculation

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Wed May 20 13:08:25 CEST 2020

Dear Chapman Gupta
The three calculations are all reliable, but they have different
purposes; you should know what you need.

scf: single point calculations (possibly with calculation of forces
and stresses at the end). It gives you the total energy and
eigenvalues @ k-points of the input configuration

relax: Hellmann-Feynman forces on nuclei are calculated at the end of
each scf step and nuclei are displaced accordingly in order to find a
local energy minimum by using the bfgs procedure. NB if the system is
highly symmetric (e.g., if you place Si atoms in their proper lattice
positions) then the resultant of forces is zero. At the end of the
calculation the code gives you the total energy and eigenvalues @
k-points of the optimized configuration

vc-relax: lattice parameters and nuclei positions are optimized in the
same run, according to forces and stresses and depending on the
required lattice symmetry. At the end of the calculation the code
gives you the total energy and eigenvalues @ k-points of the optimized
configuration in an optimized cell.

HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting Chaman Gupta <chaman at uw.edu>:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Might be a very naive question, but I have been very confused with this
> recently.
>
> I have a 'Si - simple hexagonal' cif file. I want to see the band structure
> and/or the band gap (HOMO - LUMO).
> 1. I ran a 'scf' calculation on BURAI (a GUI for QE). It generated an
> output file which gave me the Total energy and the energy of HOMO and LUMO.
> 2. Now separately, I ran a 'geometry optimization' calculation (both
> 'relax' and 'vc-relax': thus 2 different calculations), again on BURAI, and
> I got an output file, which gives me Total energy and energy of HOMO and
> LUMO.
>
> *I specified nbnd = 8 (no. of bands) for both the above mentioned
> calulations*
>
> I am confused as in which one is correct or more reliable. And also when
> should we use which calculation?
>
> Help is really appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> *Chaman Gupta*
> Graduate Research Student, *Novosselov Research Group
> <http://depts.washington.edu/nrglab/>, UW*
> Graduate Research Student, *Pauzauskie Research Group
> <https://depts.washington.edu/pzlab/wordpress/>, UW*
> University of Washington Seattle, *M.S. in Mechanical Engineering*
> IIT Kharagpur, *B.Tech in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering*
> *Linked In <https://www.linkedin.com/in/professorchamangupta> | Email
> <chaman at uw.edu> | **P*: +1 (206) 383-3514

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316