[QE-users] Slab calculation doesn't converge when Environ is added to the job

Reinaldo Pis Diez reinaldo.pisdiez at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:29:29 CEST 2020

Dear folks

I'm trying to simulate a large Iron oxide nanoparticle as a slab to
calculate the energy associated to some atom replacements.
Experimental data is obtained in aqueous solution, so, it seems
reasonable to include solvent effects into my calculations.

I've started optimizing the bulk structure of the Iron oxide using
DoJo PPs both for Fe and O. Then, I added some vacuum above and
below, and some OH^{-} groups above because those structures are
easily hydrated.

Slab jobs (relax only) converge well without solvent, both neutral
(unreal) and with 6 negative charges. But when I add solvent effects
through Environ (scf only), important oscillations happen for total
energy, for electrostatic embedding and for the one-el term when
environ contributions are added to the local potential and no SCF is
achieved. I've tried both for the negatively charged system and for
the neutral (unreal) one.

I've tested almost all the possible combinations in the environ.in
file (attached is the last try) without success. I'm using QE 6.5
and Environ 1.1, and as I said above, DoJo PPs from
http://www.pseudo-dojo.org/. Attached are the PWScf and Environ
input file and the (interrupted) output. I'd appreciate any hints to
go forward with these calculations.

Regards,

Reinaldo Pis Diez
Center of Inorganic Chemistry