[QE-users] Computing frozen phonons for a ferromagnetic system

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Tue Jul 28 09:19:16 CEST 2020

Hi

  the starting_magnetization is specified per species not per site, this
may be sometime not very practical, but in your case warrants  that the
supercell is initialized in the same way as the  bulk one. Consider also
that if the ferromagnetic solution is stable, the final density and
magnetization are not very sensitive to the specific initialization, the
starting_magnetization only breaks the symmetry between the two
polarization and defines which is the majority spin.

Contrains instead affect the energy with an additive term that depends
on the deviation from the constaint, and as you are going to do finite
differences between displaced systems, where you might actually expect
some small variation of the local magnetizations this could influence
you results.

hope this helps - regards

Pietro