[QE-users] Errors reading psudopotential files, "not a valid URI"

ROBERT J HAMERS rjhamers at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 27 20:28:04 CEST 2020

I’m a QE “newbie” trying to run QE version 6.4.1,  on a Windows 10 workstation.

When I try to run pw.exe,  I keep getting the following error:
     Program PWSCF v.6.4.1 starts on 27Jul2020 at 13:15:42
     This program is part of the open-source Quantum ESPRESSO suite
     for quantum simulation of materials; please cite
--…. More stuff here.. …--
     Waiting for input...
     Reading input from standard input

     Current dimensions of program PWSCF are:
     Max number of different atomic species (ntypx) = 10
     Max number of k-points (npk) =  40000
     Max angular momentum in pseudopotentials (lmaxx) =  3

ERROR (FoX)
Could not open file D:\espresso\pseudo\c.upf – not a valid URI

I’ve tried downloading different pseudopotential files and they behave the same. I also looked at the UPF files and they look just fine, nothing weird.
Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated !

Robert J. Hamers
Steenbock Professor of Physical Science
Dept. of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, WI 53705, USA
http://hamersgroup.chem.wisc.edu