[QE-users] Expectation values of total angular momentum in SOC case

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Jan 23 12:56:36 CET 2020

Hey Lorenzo,

the "problem" is actually more complex and it is not a real problem but
something I thought about and maybe I'm just missing something.

I calculate the band structure for some 2D systems including SOC and
want to fit a model to the spin state such that I can extract SOC
parameters. First order would be Rashba-type SOC but 2nd and 3rd order
is something else which also depends on the local symmetry. For one
system this works without problems. Then I wanted to transfer the ideas
and my "code" to a heterobilayer of TMDs and there it sort of works but
there is one problem:

In order to fit the model, I first fit a generic Pauli Hamiltonian (to
which the model is fitted) - in this way the code can be easily adapted
to other local symmetries because only the 2nd stage needs to be
changed. Anyways, in the Pauli Hamiltonian I assume that the spin is 1/2
- an electron or hole. Yet, the DFT expectation values for Sx, Sy, Sz do
not result in a spin of 1/2 (for the TMD heterostructure) but a little
bit less, 0.468, and this value is too different from 1/2 to say it is
numerical noise. And then I thought that, well, spin is not a good
quantum number and I would need the total angular momentum. Or do I need
to calculate the spin expectation values for the whole BZ and then a
single band would add up to 1/2? Is it OK to just, lets say, use S^2 =
0.468 instead of 1/2 and say that this is due to SOC?

Regards

Thomas

--
Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme
Wilhelm-Ostwald-Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry

Tel:  +49 (0)341 97 36456

email: thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de