[QE-users] Expectation values of total angular momentum in SOC case

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 12:36:46 CET 2020

Hello Thomas,
if I remember correctly, the fact that the spin does not commute with
the Hamiltonian mean that the spin can be:
1. k-point dependent, you do not have spin-up and spin-down bands which
can be separated
2. aligned along any direction, instead of just Z

I think, but am not 100% sure, that if J is a good quantum number for
isolated atoms with mean-field interacting electrons, this is not true
for bulk crystals (what is L in the bulk?)

With the options of bands.x setting lsigma=.true. you can plot the spin
projected over x y and z and do some kind of color-codes plot of the bands

cheers

--
Lorenzo Paulatto - Paris