[QE-users] forcing cubic symmetry for a slab

José Carlos Conesa Cegarra jcconesa at icp.csic.es
Fri Feb 21 16:01:11 CET 2020

Dear Julien,

A slab can never be cubic. At most it can be forced to remain
tetragonal. But I see that your perovskite contains formamidinium
cations. Even if you force the dimensions of the bulk cell to remain
cubic, the internal symmetry after relaxation will not be cubic; those
organic cations lack threefold symmetry, which is the condition for a
structure to be cubic by symmetry. This said, a correct arrangement of
the formamidinium ions might allow having tetragonal symmetry, both in
the bulk and in the slab.

José C. Conesa

El 21/02/2020 a las 13:13, Julien Barbaud escribió:

> Dear users,
>

> I am trying to simulate the surface of a perovskite. If I let vc-relax
> do its job on my system, it ends up yielding  a monoclinic unit cell.
> However, the phase of interest for my purposes has a cubic symmetry
> (actually becomes stable only at at higher temperatures). When it
> comes to bulk calculations, this is no problem, because we can easily
> constrain the system to a cubic symmetry and let it relax (constrained
> vc-relax, or Birch fit method). And I do get very good agreement with
> experimental lattice constants.
>
> When I try to simulate a slab of a few atomic layers, however, the
> vacuum thickness left in the unit cell allows for one more degree of
> freedom for the slab. This results in my atomic slab "tilting" during
> the relax calculation, effectively mimicking the monoclinic result
> (without the actual fictitious "slab cell" changing, of course). I am
> afraid this description might not be clear, so I attached an
> illustration of the problem I get after a relax run on an initially
> cubic slab.
>
> My question boils down to this:*Is there a good method force a slab to
> remain cubic, even though it has this additional freedom?*
>
> This sounds like a basic question, but I couldn't find an answer so
> far. I thought of limiting the relaxation the the z-axis only, but I
> believe that would not be satisfying for the physics of my system
> (mostly because my material is made of organic cations encaged in an
> inorganic framework, and the orientation/rotation of those cations
> usually are relevant. If I don't allow any movement in the x-y
> directions, I won't be able to observe potential re-orientation of the
> cations at the surface)
>
> Let me know if you need any more information!
>

> Thanks for your attention,
>
> Julien

José C. Conesa
Research Professor
Instituto de Catálisis y Petroleoquímica, CSIC
Marie Curie 2, Campus de Cantoblanco
Tel. 915854766
Madrid, Spain