[QE-users] bands.x and plotbands.x

cloun cloun108 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 23:38:10 CET 2020

Greetings to Quantum ESPRESSO professionals,

I am interested in output of plotbands.x command in the case of
lsym=.true. while bands.x is executed. It is told in some tutorials that

`if symmetry analysis was performed in the previous step [bands.x], the
output is written toseveral plottable files prefixbands.plot.N.M, whereN
labels the high-symmetry lines, M labels irreducible representations'.

Could you please explain as precisely as possible what does it actually
mean? I know some band theory elements, but not those concerning group
representations and such, so I will be glad to be pointed at a good text
maybe, after reading which I can deduce the answer myself.

Thanks in advance.