[QE-users] Regarding "occupations" keyword in input file

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Mon Aug 17 10:38:33 CEST 2020

Dear Yuvam Bhateja,

> I am also simulating the same AFM Mott insulator.

> For structural optimization I usually use occupation="smearing" and smearing="Gaussian".
> Is it the correct way or should I choose different options.

That is fine. You can use also other smearing options, but in any case since your system has a gap and you use the smearing then your system is considered as a fake metal. So the type of smearing does not really matter for magnetic insulators. For magnetic insulators, smearing is needed only for technical reasons: in order to use starting_magnetization, the PW code requires smearing. But once the calculation is converged, you can perform a second SCF calculation with fixed occupations and by setting total magnetization and starting from the previous converged SCF calculation (reading wavefunctions and density/potential). After this second SCF, you will have a magnetic insulator with no smearing. After this you can perform various linear response calculations (PH, HP, etc.).

But for DOS you do not need to play this trick with two SCF calculations. One SCF (the first one) is already enough. Then you can compute DOS using the tetrahedron method or with the smearing if you want.

Greetings,

Iurii

--
Dr. Iurii Timrov
Postdoctoral Researcher
I am also simulating the same AFM Mott insulator.
For structural optimization I usually use occupation="smearing" and smearing="Gaussian".
Is it the correct way or should I choose different options.

And during DOS I use occupation="tetrahedra" with the relaxed calculation.

Please guide me with this problem.

Regards
Yuvam Bhateja
IIEST Shibpur