[QE-users] Born charges of PbS

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Wed Apr 15 08:23:36 CEST 2020

Hello

from the pdos  2 electrons have /moved /from Pb 6p to fill the S 3p
band, as expected.

The 3p band is hybridized with 6s and 6p orbitals of Pb and vice versa.
So the S 3p is still made by orbitals centered on S ions but is spread
to neighboring Pb ions. If a S ion is displaced it goes closer to some
Pb ion and far from others, same thing happens dispacing a Pb.  As
Stefano wrote the 3p orbitals would still be centered close to the S
ion, Bader charge thus would  not change,  but the orbital will now
lean towards the closer Pb and away from those that are now a little bit
farther,   this enhances the dynamical charge with respect to the
oxidation number.

Pietro