[QE-users] [QE users] pseudopotential hardness and transferability

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Fri Apr 3 13:58:58 CEST 2020

Ciao Aldo,

a meaningful/useful test would be this - take a simple case of a CN
system - it can be as simple as an infinite 2-atom primitive cell of a
graphene-like sheet (or a 2-atom primitive FCC cell (like GaAs)).
Doesn't matter if it's not that physical. You also do not need fine
k-point sampling. Shake one of the 2 atoms quite a bit - 10-15% of their
typical bond lengths.

For this system, plot the total force on 1 atom, and the trace of the
stress tensor, as a function of cutoff on the wavefunctions (30, 40, 50,
60, 70, 80, 100 Ry) for a couple of duals (i.e. ecutrho six or 8 times
larges than ecutwfc). If you feel good about doing it, look also at the
frequencies of a phonon - maybe not Gamma, but at a zone boundary.

This will tell you what cutoffs you need for a structural relaxation.

Let me also repeat that the convergence on the total energy is not a
necessary condition - you can have wonderful and accurate pseudos whose
total energy is still changing at a cutoff that is good for forces and
stresses.

			nicola