[QE-users] [QE users] pseudopotential hardness and transferability

Aldo Ugolotti a.ugolotti at campus.unimib.it
Fri Apr 3 10:43:35 CEST 2020

Dear Nicola,

I share with you the perplexity about the unusual values for the
cutoffs, that's why I wished to understand the origin of it and whether
it could be improved or fixed (other than just setting such cutoff and
keep going). About checking the pseudo versus the total energy, it might
be not so relevant but indeed it is a necessary condition.

In my tests I just run scf calculations with different cutoffs/k-mesh
with fixed geometry and extract the total energy (i.e. fixing the
precision rather than the accuracy, in the language of Science, 351,
2016, paper). I consider the minimal cutoff the one at which the total
energy is within ~ 1mRy from the value of the calculation with the
highest cutoff. I can also extract the corresponding total force or stress.

Finally, I definitely agree with you about the "hardness" of
pseudo-generation; the results I was reporting are from the checks on
the SSSP pseudos (or pslibrary v 0.1<->1.0.0 ones, in general, which
yield similar numbers), the only difference lies in taking into account
a system more complex that a single atom. In my particular case, I did
consider a small patch of graphene-like C,N compound.

Hence I wondered if there was any modification, given the possible
differences between the isolated atom and the small patch, to improve
the effectiveness of the pseudo (hence, not just hardness, but a proper
size of the dual). My first guess was to check the transferability of
the pseudo, which maybe was not enough to cover the electronic
configuration of the patch. That's what I could not test with ld1.x

Bests,

--
Aldo Ugolotti, Ph.D.

Post-doc fellow
Materials Science Dept. U5,
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
via Cozzi 55,
20125 Milano (MI)
Italy
e-mail: a.ugolotti at campus.unimib.it