[QE-users] higher total energy in the last stage of vc-relax

Kevin May kmay at mit.edu
Fri May 31 01:54:29 CEST 2019

Hi Mehrdad,

Just a few more thoughts:

1) Which reference state are you using for Fe? Jiang et al. use ferromagnetic
BCC Fe in Acta Materialia 56, 3236–3244 (2008). This paper uses constant
volume rather than constant (zero) pressure calculations. I would
definitely do spin polarized calculations. You mentioned your current
pseudopotentials are not recommended for spin polarized calculations--I
would use different ones.

2) I'm not sure which pseudopotentials you are using exactly, but I have
had good results using those in the Standard Solid State Pseudopotentials
(SSSP) tables, which comes from very useful work of a team at EPFL (
https://www.materialscloud.org/discover/sssp/). In your case, this would be
from PSLibrary 0.3.1 PAW for Fe and PSLibrary 1.0.0 PAW for C. Note the
recommended ecutrho is 12*ecutwfc for Fe. The recommended cutoff there is
90 Ry but you might get away with something smaller if you test it yourself.

3) A good reference for defect calculations is Rev. Mod. Phys. 86, 253
(2014).

Best,

Kevin May, PhD
Postdoctoral Associate