[QE-users] smearing vs. tetrahedron - weird behavior

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Sun Mar 24 17:46:15 CET 2019

Is 8.2 (the outliar) given by the tetrahedron method?

For insulators with a large band gap, if one uses mp or mv smearing,
there is the possibility that the code chooses a fermi energy just
below the top of the valence (with mv or mp) and just above the bottom
of the conduction (with mp), rather than in the middle of the gap
(albeit rare, this can happen, due to the fact that mv in these cases
can have two solutions for the fermi energy, and mp can have three).

But your case seem to show a problem with the tetrahedron method, and
not sure that what is the problem.

			nicola