[QE-users] Technical questions about calculation of exchage coupling constant J in Heisenberg model

BARRETEAU Cyrille cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Wed Jun 5 15:59:28 CEST 2019

Dear Konrad Gruszka

This is a difficult question in fact.
There are to my knowledge three ways to extract Jij  from DFT calculation:

i) Your approach that consist in doing several DFT calculation of various spin (usually collinear) configurations and mapping to Heinsenberg by inverting a series of linear equation.
ii) The explicit approach that uses Liechtenstein formula (not implemented in QE)
iii) The spin-spiral approach (based on the generalized Bloch theorem) that consists in calculation E(q) for various spin sipral vectors q and then fitting the E(q)  to get the Jij.

All these approaches have their advantages and inconveniences but they all rely on the validity of Heisenberg Hamiltonian.

If in your case some magnetic configurations lead to solutions with a strong decrease of the magnetic moment that means that you are no longer in a pure Heisenberg picture.

Either you ignore these configurations or you generalize your Hamiltonian by adding a Landau-like term AM^2+BM^4 for example to reproduce the variation of magnetic amplitude...

There are some publications using this generalized Hamiltonian.

Cyrille

Cyrille Barreteau
CEA Saclay, IRAMIS, SPEC Bat. 771
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, FRANCE
+33 1 69 08 38 56 /+33  6 47 53 66 52  (mobile)
email:     cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Web:     http://iramis.cea.fr/Pisp/cyrille.barreteau/