[QE-users] Charges in spin-polarized SCF calculations

Eric Glen Suter esuter at uga.edu
Wed Jun 5 13:54:26 CEST 2019

Hello all,

At the end of a spin-polarized, self-consistent field calculation the code prints a list of atoms, their charges, magnetizations, and any constraints applied to them.

Particularly I'm interested in this charge quantity. I'm trying to model a dopant in a particular charge state and if this quantity is to be believed, then I think I've got it. My question is really just, how much can this number be trusted?

In my case, because it indicates that the charge on this atom is 3 less than that valence charge specified in the pseudo-potential, is this a good indication that I'm modeling it in a +3 charge state?

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Eric Suter

PhD candidate

Department of Physics and Astronomy