[QE-users] Odd number of electrons yields even total magnetization

José Carlos Conesa Cegarra jcconesa at icp.csic.es
Tue Jul 16 17:54:22 CEST 2019

Hi,

Sodium metal has an odd number of electrons per primitive unit cell
(which contains a single atom), and however is nonmagnetic. The same
applies to aluminum. This is the result of having a large overlap
between orbitals, making the (in principle) spin up and spin down energy
separation much smaller than the bandwidth so that spin up and down
electrons are equaled in population. Did you verify whether this is your
case?

Regards,

José Carlos