[QE-users] Odd number of electrons yields even total magnetization

FARAH MARSUSI marsusi at aut.ac.ir
Tue Jul 16 16:43:34 CEST 2019

​Dear Carlos,

If everything in your input file is OK, when DFT suffers so much from self interaction error, e.g. for a highly correlated system, this may happen. Please see : " Carbon 144, 615 (2019).

Best wishes,

Farah.

On Tue, 07/16/2019 09:34 AM, "Ayestaran Latorre, Carlos" <carlos.ayestaran-latorre17 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi,

I have a system consistent of a diamond slab with a boron substitutional defect, an adsorbed hydroxyl and an adsorbed hydrogen on the surface. The system has an odd number of electrons (487) and I run a spin polarized (nspin=2) structural relaxation (see attached).
 One would expect an odd value for the total magnetization, but the it quickly converges to zero.

I assumed this would be a side effect of smearing allowing partial electronic occupations (I employed gaussian smearing with degauss=0.02). I tried lowering the smearing value down to 0.001, both for gaussian and mv smearing, but only managed to get total magnetization
 ~ 0.3 Bohr mag/cell in both cases. Fixing tot_magnetization=1, however, yields a noticeably higher final energy (~0.3 eV).

When I run a structural relaxation on a similar system (with an adsorbed H2O molecule instead of the hydroxyl+hydrogen fragments), the total magnetization satisfyingly reaches 1 Bohr mag/cell rather quickly. Other combinations (for example, without the H2O
 molecule at all) also give total magnetization values that don't match the even/odd number of electrons.

Regards,

Carlos Ayestaran Latorre

--
This email was Anti Virus checked by  Security Gateway.

This email was Anti Virus checked by  Security Gateway.