[QE-users] [EXT] Environ Cube files

Andreussi, Oliviero Oliviero.Andreussi at unt.edu
Sat Feb 9 00:01:30 CET 2019

Hi Lance,

The cube files can be opened and visualized with a wide range of atomistic visualization software. I use VMD (https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/), but I think also XCrysden and Vesta would work, to say a few.

Coming to what is inside the files, there is no documentation right now. On the other hand, the names of the files should provide a reasonable guess on what is inside: electrons.cube contains the electronic density. polarization_density.cube contains the polarization density of the dielectric medium. charges.cube contains the density of all charges of the system (including electrons, nuclei, external charges).

The structure of the files is very regular, as you would discover by a quick google search of "cube file format" http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/cube/

Once you know how the inside is organized, it does not take too much effort to design a tool to extract data along a certain axis/plane/etc. Maybe some of these tools are already available online.

Hope this helps,

Oliviero Andreussi
--
Assistant Professor