[QE-users] Initializing triplet state from OCCUPATIONS = input

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Sun Aug 18 18:45:51 CEST 2019

Dear Brendan
It is apparently the opposite. Cyanide ion CN- is isoelectronic with
CO, and it is a diamagnetic ion. The expected result should be
therefore that you have found. However, be careful. As opposed to HCN,
CN- should not be stable in gas phase. Check your results, because due
to such an instability, an due to the limitations of GGA
exchange-correlation functionals, your HOMO might be unbound.
HTH
Giuseppe

Brendan Smith <bsmith24 at buffalo.edu> ha scritto:

> Hello QE experts.
>
> I am trying to initialize a triplet ground state in which 2 unpaired
> electrons (either both alpha or both beta) exist. Can someone please take a
> look a my input to see if everything looks OK? Attached is my input file.
> Please note, that an extra electron has been added to the cell, giving a -1
> overall charge.
>
> Apparently, such a triplet state is supposed to be energetically lower than
> the singlet ground state, but I find the singlet ground state to be lower
> in energy.
>
> Thank you,
> Best,
> Brendan A. Smith
> State University of New York at Buffalo

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316