[QE-users] Keep the symmetry during a calculation

Carina Backtorp carinabacktorp at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:08:46 CEST 2018

Hi!

Thank you for the explanation.
I understand it as although I have given ibrav=1 as an input for the vc-relax calculation, Quantum Espresso may find that the crystal does not have ibrav=1 symmetry. Is that correct?
As an example, if one places ONE  water molecule in a large cubic box and runs a vc-relax calculation in QE with ibrav = 1, i.e. cubic symmetry, then
QE does a symmetry analysis concluding that the crystal symmetry is not ibrav 1 and therefore does the calculation with the correct symmetry.

 If so, is there a key word in QE that I can include into the input file so that QE gives the obtained corrected symmetry in the output file?

Also, is it possible to give QE a constraint in the input file so that it keeps the symmetry that was given? For example: even if the crystal structure does not have the cubic symmetry according to QE, can one still keep all three box lengths equal during a vc-relax calculation?

Thank you for all help!
Kind regards,
Carina