[QE-users] Band Structure and DOS contradiction in doped graphene

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Tue May 22 11:12:12 CEST 2018

Dear B S Bhushan,

   To me it looks like

  1) QE/PWscf sets the Fermi level in the band gap, at some arbitrary
energy just so that the number of electrons is conserved: It could be
higher (but hardly lower). This is normal, as the energy position is not
specifically defined so long as the number of electrons is correct (or,
the Fermi level can be anywhere in the band gap just as it is far enough
from the valence and conduction band edges)

  2) the program to calculate DOS does not realign the Fermi energy, so
with the broadening there appears some intensity at the Fermi energy

   After you check that this is the correct assumption (for example that
the occupation of all bands is either 0 or 1), you can manually
shift the Fermi energy to mid-gap in the plots; or, some people do not
show the Fermi energy at all in systems with gap but align the energy
scale so that the top of the valence band ("valence band maximum", "VBM")
is at zero.

   Which value of Fermi energy do you use actually, the one from the
self-consistent or non-self-consistent calculation?

     Greetings from Sunny Paris,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
     Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
     Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935