[QE-users] Question on Initial and final energies in NEB

Stella, Martina martina.stella at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 13:57:45 CEST 2018

Dear Prof. Baroni,

thanks for prompt reply.

So yes I am using NEB to find a barrier between two states.

Before starting the NEB I have separately relaxed the geometries associated with my two configurations (initial and final). Hence now I have two relaxed geometries.

I start the NEB using the relaxed geometries for these states as first and last image and I use the option to freeze these configurations.

When I start my NEB and I check for the absolute energies of these two images (which supposedly are kept frozen so probably they just go through a SCF cycle?), these energies are quite different from the ones I have from my separate relaxations of the aforementioned geometries . So I was wondering if this is what I should expect.

But maybe I am missing something or thinking about it in the wrong way, I will think about what you said.

Thank again.

Cheers.

Martina Stella

Post-Doctoral researcher

Physics Department, King's College London

Strand,London WC2R 2LS UK