[QE-users] Soft Hydrogen Pseudopotentials

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue Aug 7 10:58:56 CEST 2018

Dear Matthieu
I don't know which surface you want to passivate, but remember that H
can also have a strong dopant effect on surfaces (e.g., a large upward
shift of both band edges, which has been measured on C-diamond).
Therefore, I used to passivate the unreconstructed end of III-V slabs
with *pseudo* H atoms, having fractional charge which simulate a bulk
environment surrounding the bottom layer of the slab. They used to be
in the online library but they are not anymore (maybe for good reasons
which I don't know). If you want to try I can send you the UPF files.
They are NC VBC pseudopotentials which should not require more than
ecutwfc=40: after all you are not interested in structural
rearrangement but you only need electronic passivation of surface
states.
HTH
Giuseppe