[Pw_forum] How to choose ecutwfc value?

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Fri Oct 20 08:53:06 CEST 2017

Thanks Saif,

this is very useful. Sadly, it also shows the current limitations in the
field.

Basically, these days one can "converge" the computational parameters
quite well (increase the supercells, improve the k-point sampling, make
sure the smearing is correct, etc...), but often there remain a
significant uncertainty coming from the pseudopotentials used - i.e.
different pseudopotentials can give different results.

We almost never know which is the "right" result - it would require
all-electron calculations, and those in themselves require a great
deal of care (nowadays for something simple like the equation of state
of an elemental compound they seem to agree - at least looking at
the 2016 Science paper by Laejeghere - but for everything else noone knows).

Bottom line: we are stuck, and very few care about this. Hopefully
in the next few years we'll seem some more standardized all-electron
calculations, that will help refine further the pseudopotential
libraries. For the time being, we collect in the SSSP our best guesses.

				nicola