[Pw_forum] rVV10 vdW functionals

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Wed Oct 18 11:36:48 CEST 2017

Dear Sam
This I've found in the original VV10 paper
Oleg A. Vydrov and Troy Van Voorhis
THE JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS 133, 244103 (2010)

"In the rest of this article we will consider one
particularly apt combination of the exchange and correlation
terms,

E_xc^[VV10] = E_x rPW86 + E_c PBE + E_c VV10 (27)

where E c PBE is the semilocal correlation energy functional in
the generalized gradient approximation of Perdew, Burke, and
Ernzerhof (PBE). 23 Hereafter, we will often refer to the XC
functional of Eq. (27) simply as VV10."

A few lines below it is stated

"The full XC energy in vdW-DF2 is defined as

E_xc^[vdW-DF2] = E_x rPW86 + E_c LDA + E_c-nl vdW-DF2 (28)

where E_c LDA is the correlation energy in the local density
approximation, for which we use the parameterization of
Perdew and Wang."

This might be the source of some confusion arising in the following
papers, all comparing VV10 or rVV10 with other vdw-df approaches.

HTH

Giuseppe